Huwebes, Hunyo 11, 2015

My Mountaineering Mentors

       "Behind a passionate mountaineer is a powerful mentor"

       Although I want to believe that I was "born to climb", I also think that there are powerful forces behind this drive!! Just who are these guys who reinforced my love for the mountains?

      Chededaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!! 


      No. 1 Of course, my father: the late Teodoro Valeriano Aguila (1938-2005)


     Tatay raised and treated me like a "taong-bundok".  As soon as I could walk, he would bring me along in his hikes.  My fondest memories about him were our early morning walks along the ricefields of Nampicuan, Nueva Ecija where I grew up.  We would walk and walk together for miles, while he tells endless fairytales that would sometimes make me laugh but oftentimes would make me cry... :( 

      Tatay taught me not to be afraid to get wet in the rain.  He said that like plants, we need to get wet and be "watered" by the rain so we would also grow like the plants do.  Tatay taught me to walk fast, to move fast, not to cry when I'm dizzy, not to cry when I fall, and to immediately stand up when I fall.  
  
       It was Tatay who first introduced me to higher mountains when he brought me along to Baguio City when I was 9.  At Kennon Road, he pointed to me the mountain summit, and he said: "Do you see those trees on top of that highest mountain? It is there where we are heading for..."  It was difficult for a young mind to process that thought.  I thought he was joking until we reached Baguio City.  I was so happy! I was amazed to see that the soil was reddish, I was in so much awe to realize that human beings could reach such altitude!

     Tatay also taught me some details like how far is a kilometer, how high is a 5,600 ft above sea level... etc etc...  He introduced me to movies about adventure: The Swiss Family Robinson Crusoe and the like. And he would always tell me to be brave. That I can be brave. 

     When my younger siblings were eventually born (oh well, they happen to be both boys), and Tatay had to buy them toys; naturally, they had to be toy guns, toy cars, scooters .... Tatay bought me toy guns and scooters too.  In other words, Tatay raised me to be capable of doing what boys could physically do.

    I know that Tatay smiles down from heaven whenever he sees me climbing mountains.  Because that is the way he always wanted me to live my life: to the fullest.



    No. 2: Atty Jubil S. Surmieda.  The de facto (hehe) founder of the Comelec Trekkerz.  My BFF and my Idol. 



      This is the guy responsible for my present addiction to climbs.  It was Bong who invited me to climb Mt Pulag in January 2013 and since then, my life has changed.  The monotonous and boring Manila life that I had to endure since I transferred to Manila, became exciting, colorful, and meaningful.  The stress I gather from work would turn into dust whenever I climb mountains.  Thank you Bong !!! 

      No. 3 Sir Neil Bernas, my Kumpare, my Idol, and our BMC Mentor.




      When the Comelec Trekkerz members were increasing, and climb plans and schedules came one after the other like emerging mushrooms on a rainy season, Bong Surmieda advised us to undergo Basic Mountaineering Course.  We obliged.  So we chose an authority on mountaineering.  It had to be Sir Neil Bernas (who happens to be one of the many foster sons of Bong; they call Bong "Dad")

      Yielding to our persistent requests, Sir Neil had to drive to Intramuros all the way from his distant work location (then Asian Hospital) Alabang, Muntinlupa City just to be our Resource Person on BMCs 1 & 2.  He urged us to do BMC 3 in an actual situation so we underwent Camp Management Training in Mt. Daguldol (Laiya, Batangas) sometime in April of 2013.  As if the weather knew what we should learn from BMC 3, it gave us a heavy downpour complete with lightnings and thunders, so we may learn what kind of tent could withstand bad weather.  We learned our lessons. We learned the basic mountaineering principles and rules from Sir Neil.  We still apply them up to now, to the letter, whenever we climb.  Thank you Sir Pareng Neil..

       No. 4. Medel "Bokbok" de Asis



     This daredevil guy was the one who discovered and tapped that daring side of me.  He was the one who told me that "Ma'am, kaya mo yan... Kaya mong pumunta dito sa bangin."  He gave me total confidence and faith in myself, to the extent that I would go with him to the dangerous parts of rockies and monoliths, against which Bong Surmieda would always protest and scold us about.  Bokbok could sense that part of me that longs for adventure and thrills.





     It was also Bokbok who introduced me to Paeng, the Tumao of Majayjay and to many other mountaineering friends.  He also influenced me about being independent, self-contained, being able to cook by myself and not to always rely on others for my kitchen and food requirements during climbs.  He taught the Comelekkerz about many practicalities.  He would be pissed off whenever there are "maartes" among us.  He hates maartes.  He moves fast,  Bokbok is very strong.  He's a Halimaw.  

     One of his attributes that made him win our respect is his sincere care and concern about each of us in the group.  Whenever any one among us would be in an emergency situation, he would stay with that guy and never leave him until everything is OK.  Bokbok is the one who would decide when an E-camp is needed, when somebody who is sick should rest, and should be given medical attention and care.  Bokbok is a true leader, and in addition, he is also our nurse, our cook, our police (he hates reckless thrash disposal) and our very caring friend.

      No. 5: Atty. Alvin Moraña, our Idol and friend..

   


      Just like Sir Neil Bernas, Atty. Alvin is also one of Bong's many foster sons.  I also met him thru Bong Surmieda.  Atty. Alvin has also taught our group many unforgettable lessons about mountaineering.  Although he may not have formally been our BMC teacher, he IS our mentor in actual situations.  

      It was Atty. Alvin Moraña who "formally" inducted us to the mountaineering community after my newbie group joined his Mt. Tapulao August 2013 Climb.  It was during that climb when I saw and felt my weakest self, and the strongest version of someone who appeared to be the weakest.  Confusing? Atty. Alvin taught us that during very difficult situations in the mountains, when all of us are already exhausted, rain-drenched, hungry and weak, it is then when our true selves would surface.  
     Atty. Alvin gave us paracord bracelets during our Mt. Tapulao Post Climb Meeting, as a token and symbol that from then on, we could already consider ourselves as "true mountaineers".  I was so happy that day.  It was tantamount to a Law degree, and that simple paracord bracelet, to a diploma !

        
       Until now, I wear my bracelet whenever I climb. To remind myself of everything that Atty. Alvin taught us:  humility, patience, perseverance, discipline, respect for others and respect for nature.  

         For those I did not include in this blog, please don't feel sorry. You might be in another category. Hehe!  I'd soon be writing other articles like: My Favorite Mountain Buddies.  O diba, baka nandun kayo!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento